Monday, February 23, 2009

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

The past couple of weeks presented a health scare for me. I found a lump. Went to my Dr who sent me for a mammogram and ultrasound who sent me for a biopsy who made me wait 4 days for results. My mom is 9 years in remission with breast cancer. Scary.
From the beginning when I realized something was not "normal" my friends and family have been amazing. The first person I shared with was my gym buddy. She encouraged me and told me to get it checked out. Jer had to put up with my constant questioning and he was so gracious and encouraging. 2 different generous friends kept my kids while I had all the tests done. One precious friend dropped what she was doing two times to drive my kids from place to place while Jer was with me during tests. My mom drove up 2 different days last week from Columbia to go with us to appointments. Another amazing friend brought a meal the day of the mammogram and ultrasound. In the mean time all of my friends and family were calling to check in and let us know they were praying. The Lord used all of these people, it would have been a very different experience with out them.
The Lord promises us in scripture that He provides "peace that surpasses understanding". I have experience this truth first hand over the last couple of weeks. The experience was hard, frustrating and scary but I felt that peace every step of the way.
Through out this "suffering" I have grown in my relationship with the Lord. I realized that He is in control of the results and that He knew long ago what this situation held. I trusted Him to know what was best for me and my family. I wanted to walk with Him. I wanted to glorify Him no matter the results. I did wrestle with Him to get to this point. The trust was not automatic.
It is benign. It's really strange. I don't believe them. I am waiting for them to call and say "Sorry, we messed up". Jer says it's because I allowed myself to believe that it was going to be cancerous. Now I have to turn my mind around.
Don't get me wrong. I am very thankful that the Lord allowed this lump to not be malignant. Very thankful! Thank you friends for praying for me and my family. Thank you also for praising the Lord with us. I challenge you to think would we be able to praise the Lord even if the answer was different? I pray so.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so relieved. I think having to wait an extra SEVEN hours to hear the good news made me a better person. :) Don't forget to ask the "itch" question next week. haha.

Greta said...

So glad the news was good Kelly. I'll be praying for everything to continue to be well.

Jen said...

Wow, Kelly! I am so glad the results were benign. That is so scary. You do leave us with a great question that I often think about myself. Hope you and your family are doing really well.

carla stewart said...

First, I'm glad your news was good on your biopsy. Stay well.
Also, Congratulations! You've won a copy of Daisy Chain from my blog, Carla's Writing Cafe. Please send me you snail mail address so I can send it to you. Enjoy!
carla(dot)stewart(at)sbcglobal(dot) net.
In the event I don't hear from you in a week, I'll draw another name.
Blessings.